Junia Flavia d’Affonseca began her musical studies at the Escola de Música de Piracicaba in Brazil under the supervision of maestro and composer, Ernest Mahle. Later she studied the recorder and transversal flute with João Dias Carrasqueira at the Conservatório Musical Carlos Gomes in Campinas. She graduated with a a degree in fine arts, specializing in music at Fap-Arte, São Paulo under the supervision of professor J.H.Koeureuter.
Junia was a founder of the Brazilian musical company, Grupo Instinto Caraíba in 1984, while teaching music at various schools in São Paulo. More recently, she has performed at numerous events in New York and Europe and
is presently studying flute with Celina Charlier.
Selection of flute performances:
– Nossa Filarmonica Orquestra sob a regencia de Zerró Santos.
– Special event for the Brazilian Endowment for the Arts at Columbia University in New York.
– Special event for support of the arts at the Biblioteca Brasileira in New York.
– Musical performances in special workshops of Rejane Guerreio in Nova York.
– Fifteenth anniversary of the Meditation Center and Brama Kumaris
Gallery in New York.
– Peace Festival, Band Shell, Central Park, New York
– A.C.I.MA Mandala, Volpedo, Italy
– Frankfurt Book Fair, Germany
– Make Music New York: Mass Flute Appeal in Central Park
– Concerts for peace with “The Flute Choir of New York”
– Shakespeare Sonets – West Park Presbyterian Church
– Art Show Lena Medeiros, Banco do Brasil, New York
Junia’s career in handmade paper-making began in São Paulo, in the early 1980s, under the direction of Jorge Mendonza and Lourdes Cedran. She continued her studies and research using various natural fibers while attending workshops at the Museo della Carta e della Filigrana in Fabriano, Italy; Museu Molí Paperer de Capellades in Spain;
Papierfabriek De Middleste Molen in Holanda; and Dieu Donnè Paper Mill in New York.
– Pinacoteca Brasileira – São Paulo, Brazil.
– Museu FAAP – São Paulo, Brazil.
– Museu Casa da Moeda – Quito, Equador.
– Centro de Cultura na Universidade de Minas Gerais – Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
– Feira da Industria do Papel, Centro de Convenções – Anhembi, Brazil.
– Prefeitura Municipal de Santana do Parnaiba, Brazil.
– Group show at the United Nations Secretariat Building in New York.
– Offices of the Consulate General of Brazil in NewYork.
– Group show at the Biblioteca Brasileira in New York.
– DeFibras, Atelier Jaime Prades in São Paulo, Brazil.
– Cheongju International Craft Biennale in South Korea.
– The Hungarian Multicultural Center Budapest Hungary.
– Gallery onetwentyeight, New York
– Frankfurt book fair, Germany
– LoLa – Newark, NJ, EUA
– Terra, The Essence of Survival – New York, NY
– Gaia Gallery, New York, NY
– Kingdons, Banco do Brasil, New York, NY
Junia’s handmade paperworks are in private collections in Argentina, Italy, Spain, Australia, China, England, Germany, United States and Brazil.
She is a member of IAPMA, International Association of Hand Papermakers and Paper Artists; Dieu Donnè Paper Mill in New York; and founding member of ABRAPA, Associação Brasileira de Papel Artesanal.
– Ten Artists, Ten Colors “No One Would Come” Poking, Philippines
– Show and workshop “how to make handmade paper” Galery at Iglesia Presbiteriana Ft. Washington Heights, New York
– Identity Art Show – Jersey City Theater Center (JCTC), New Jersey